An award-winning Fund that seeks to benefit from changes to Japan's economic and social structure with a focus on domestically orientated Growth companies.
The search for real growth in Japan
3 'whys' that you should consider when selecting the Legg Mason Japan Equity Fund for your clients
Future growth focus is on 'New Japan'
The Fund focuses on growth companies that benefit from Japan's economic transition from a manufacturing to a service-orientated economy. It invests in companies positioned to exploit opportunities as the country evolves its economic and social structure.
The internet as a sales channel is creating ever more investment opportunities.
The ageing society creates opportunities for companies with unique products and services geared towards seniors.
The medical, long-term care and healthcare fields are regarded as one of Japan's last remaining growth industries.
High-conviction portfolio & stock picking matters
The Fund invests in approximately 30-60 Japanese stocks. The Fund has a bias towards domestic companies, with stock selection focusing on small and medium-sized firms where Hideo believes the potential for growth and, therefore, share-price expansion is great.
Japanese economic recovery is on an upward path
After two decades in the economic doldrums, the Japanese economy is turning the corner. Japan's prime minister, Shinzo Abe, has helped to implement well-received monetary and fiscal economic policies that have positively shocked the Japanese economy to move forward. Looking ahead, the country expects Abe to drive through sweeping economic reforms that will help revitalise Japan and encourage stronger economic growth in the future.
Third-largest economy in the World
Japan is the third-largest economy in the world, with world class growth companies within its diverse and well-established stock market.
Turning The Corner
After two decades in the economic doldrums and persistent deflation, Japan seems at last to be turning the corner. This is largely due to a new force that could change the country's economic landscape for the better.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
Elected in December 2012, he is determined to alter the growth dynamics of Japan. PM Abe's well-received monetary, fiscal and economic policies have been revitalising Japan's real economy and have helped the previously lacklustre stock market to rally.
Key fund facts
- Objective: Seeks to achieve capital growth through investment in securities of Japanese companies
- Benchmark: Japan TSE First Section
- Fund Size: £265.1m (as at 31/01/2015)
- Flexible Investment Style: Can invest across the market-cap range, although tends to focus on small and medium-sized companies
- Hedged Share Class: The Fund offers a hedged share class for those of your clients who prefer a greater degree of protection against yen weakness
About the manager
years of investment experience
President and Founder
- First Japanese national in the City of London to be named as a director
- Founded Shiozumi Investment Limited in 1990
- Researching and selecting stocks in the Japanese equity market for over 40 years
- Based in Tokyo, so strong local insight into the economic and market environment
020 7070 7444